Welcome to KABAKA. We are a quarterly literary magazine that publishes works in the form of poetry, fiction, visual arts, photography, videos, non-fiction: interviews, reviews, memoir pieces and essays. As a magazine that looks forward to being home for LGBTQI voices in Africa, we want works that interrogate what it means to be black or white and queer in Africa, works that say we are queer and we are here: works that talk about the eyes of a lover, seeing the rain in a new city,taking a walk under a dark sky, and everything queer and human. Simply put, we are looking for beauty, for works that shock and say we are alive or dead. We do not mind if you live on the African continent or in Diaspora. KABAKA is home. Welcome home.
We read submission during the following period:
Issue #1: September 30th to November 30th
We are currently reading for issue #1
1. We accept only electronic submissions.
2. Please, include a short biography in your submission.
3. Your Subject should include your name and the genre of your submission.
4. Anyone wishing to publish under a pseudonym is welcomed. We give you a full guarantee that your identity will be protected.
5. Simultaneous submissions are acceptable, as long as you immediately notify KABAKA that it has been accepted elsewhere.
6. All submissions should be forwarded as attachments.
7. We are interested in original, unpublished pieces.
8. We are aware that there are thousands of languages on the continent. As a result of this, once we have been giving the rights to publish your work, we require a translation of the submitted work from its original language into English.
9. Should your work be published in a collection at some later date, we would appreciate a standard acknowledgment.
10. If published by KABAKA, please wait for six months before you make another submission.
FICTION: We accept fiction of all forms and length, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
NONFICTION: Send your nonfiction to email@example.com, we accept nonfiction of all forms and length.
POETRY: Please send not more than five (5) poems or a long poem per submission to firstname.lastname@example.org. We are biased towards poems that interrogate queer experiences. Nevertheless, we will be happy to read any poem you send to us.
VISUAL ARTS: KABAKA publishes pictures/graphic pictures and artworks that cover a wide range of timely issues that have critical, artistic, and cultural significance. Photos, paintings, digital art, illustrations and cartoons portfolios should be sent in collections of 4-10, as a PDF, JPG. or PNG attachments to email@example.com.
For further enquiry or comments, feel free to contact us at any time via firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to hearing from you.